#WinterisComing - Can it just be here already??

It's coming.

I can feel it.
The air has changed.
It's colder.  Cleaner.
I can breathe easier.

Only I can't.
Because I want to ski.
Not in a month.  Or 6 weeks.
Like now.
Tomorrow.
Today.
Now.

I hike through the beautiful mountains and watch the leaves change color.
I pedal the trails and see the leaves begin to cover the trails.
I look at the mountains surrounding the water as I paddle along.
I spend hours in the garden, trying to pass the time by growing food for my little family.

But it's simply not the same.

It's my drug, this skiing thing.
It's all I've ever wanted in life, no matter how hard I try to refocus.
My goals, all fallen by the wayside as I search for more days on snow.
My dreams, completely full of fluffy white goodness falling from the evergreen trees which surround me on all sides.
I want something else to be important, to be relevant, to be ... anything!

But it's not.
Nothing matters anymore, except turns and snow.

I try.
Really hard.
There are so many different things to do during the summer in Vermont, but they all seem like pale substitutes for the true prize.

I don't know why this is and if I knew I am not sure I would want to change anything.
As the snow melts in June, I find myself enjoying the farewell, the parties and the drinking, the toasting, paddling and biking all filling my days with excitement and adventure.

Then the heat comes.  and the Humidity.  And I spend a few weeks basking in the sun's warmth.

By the beginning of September, I am done with it all.
It's exhausting, trying to find things to do while I wait for winter to come.
I just want to go to sleep and wake up with snow on the ground.
It's cold and I just want to go skiing already.
That is all.

May You Find the Spirit of the Mountains Within You,
Female Ski Bum

Comments

Popular Posts