Autumn arrives and I am called on an Expotition

All summer, I have been waiting
Laying around, working in my garden
feeling sweaty and gross
just hot. sticky. hot
and moist.

Ugh, I want to hide in my cold basement,
away from the blazing sun and excruciating heat.
I cringe when the weatherman says its going to be gorgeous
knowing those words only mean miserableness to me.

And then autumn comes,
and instead of being fat and lazy
I want to play, and run and explore

As I left for my run today,
leaves were circling in the air around me.
autumn had encircled me and I felt as though I was running through a thoughtful spot.
Like Winnie the Pooh would come bumbling by at any moment and suggest an Expotition.
I could feel An Adventure in the air.

And so I ran.
I got to the end of the road and kept running.
Like I never wanted to stop.
Like there was a world out there beyond by normal route
and today,
today, was the day I was to venture forth and seek the world.

I heard the call of an Expotition.
And so I ran.

And ran.  And ran.  And ran.
further than I had run in months.
I am Forest Gump.
I am me.

Because I could smell the difference.
I could taste the cold air on my tongue,

I noticed my breath,
a clean fresh breath
leaving a vapor trail in the sky.
I could see it.

Finally.

(Sometimes I kinda freakout when I can't see my breath.
Must be a winter person thing)

With each breath,
my body relaxed,
feeling the world slipping into fall as I made my way
up long slow hills in a valley surrounded by mountains,
once a soft vibrant green now just beginning their change

Winter is coming,
I can hear myself think

And then I can't think at all
I lose myself:
   in my steps,
   in my breath,
   in my mind.

I have no idea where I went,
only that I finally found myself home
where I was once again embraced by the leaves of autumn
swirling around me as I take the final steps.

And my mind wanders to where the next Expotition will lead ...

May You Find the Spirit of the Mountains Within You,
Female Ski Bum


Comments