Dust on Crust and I'm Grinning Ear to Ear

Finally.
To wake up this morning and watch the flakes floating through the sky instead of watching heavy non-solid precipitation make puddles in the dirt.
My heart heaved a sigh of relief as I stepped outside into the flurries.
My feet were cold against the squishy ground, but there was an off chance of greatness today and I wanted to thank the earth first.
Would there be enough?
Because holy crap it has rained for like 3 days.
   Would the mountain recover?
    Could it recover?
To be firm, oh crap would it be firm.
A text from a friend confirmed the solid truth of the matter.


But the guns were on.
It had dropped 12 degrees since 7am.
And there were freshies.
Untouched Snow!
Like from the Sky and everything!

An east coast skiers dream.
The first real snowfall of the season and it's dust on crust.
That little bit of untouched snow that falls onto the eerily yellow groomer tracks magically exposed.
Finding that little pocket of built up snow as you fall off the trail, inching ever closer to the snow line in a desperate attempt to gobble up every bit of fresh snow within sight.
There are deeper spots than others, and there are firmer spots.
But I'm down.
And I'm grinning ear to ear.

And then an entire trail of yellow guns.
A pile of snowmaking awesomeness, the boys throwing down the heavy stuff because we are not going to lose this again ... damn it.
But as long as you kept the same speed as the stickiness,
skiing in slow motion, through old yellow smelly looking cream cheese.
But I'm down.
And I'm grinning ear to ear.

Dust on Crust.
Trails of Sticky Snow.
But I'm down.
And I'm grinning ear to ear.

I wouldn't miss this for anything.
It's gonna be a good season.



May You Find the Spirit of the Mountains Within You,
Merisa

Comments

Popular Posts