Yet Another Powder Day at Killington

open my eyes,
Slowly,
It's my one day off from work
and I really, really want to sleep in.

I get up like I always do,
The first thing I always do
I pull back the window curtain like I always do...

SHIT!

It snowed.
A lot.
Again!
How is this happening to us?
It's the East Coast!

I have got to get to the mountain!!!!

Sure, it's rediculously cold.
Sure, it's ridiculously windy.

But none if that matters
as I make my first turn
snow hits me in the knee
And then right at my groin.
What?
I'm not in the woods
Or in a snow drift
I am out here, on a regular ole trail
And getting powder shots up to my waist??
Holy crap --
What must the trees be like??

I can't get enough.
Every spare moment
Every spare thought
I cannot sit still
Knowing there is untracked snow
Out there
In the mountains
Waiting for me to leave my mark

Sometimes it is gorgeous
A perfectly drawn line in the snow,
The leaving of a schuss on a clean, pristine white blanket.

Othertimes it is ugly.
Hooking a branch or a tree
And I end up in a tree well
Or upside down and backwards

And sometimes,
The woods they leave their mark on me.
A bruise on my left wrist from a random sideways stump,
Scars across my face from the constant whipping of tree branches,
Bruises on my shins from when my skis went on one side of a lowflying branch and my body on the other.
A bruise on my knee when a not so nice tree decided to stop me during a fall.

But who cares?
The snow has been so soft you can go anywhere.
Do anything.
Be anyone.
Be yourself.

May You Find the Spirit of the Mountains Within You,
Merisa

Comments

Popular Posts