The Magic Man: My Eulogy for My Dad, Steven M Sherman


 

"He was a poet; and they are never exactly grown-up."
-J.M.Barrie. Peter Pan in Kensington Garden 


Enjoying some Killington Powder on an Off-Chemo Week



Someway, Somehow
Against all the odds of Stage IV Rectal Cancer,
My dad seemed to somehow fly above the possible
And wandered into the realm of the impossible.
Not only did my dad physically endure his treatments,
During off treatment weeks he seemed to thrive,
Smiling and laughing and celebrating what life surrounded him.

At Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center,
My dad was known as "The Magic Man"

But I already knew my dad was magical.
He shared this magic with my mother, my sister and me
Every single day of our lives.

Someway, Somehow
We lived in an Enchanted dream world,
Where fields held dreams
and winters were wonderlands.
Where happily ever afters were always possible,
Even when common sense told us they couldn't be.

And as all of you are here,
I know he must have shared a little of his magic with you.

Someway, Somehow
each one of us became part of his family.
He tried to help each of us to be better people,
Helped to bring each of us faith and trust
And brought us just a little bit of pixie dust.

Someway, Somehow,
My Dad showed you that it was okay
to still believe in magic,
To fly above the possible.
That it was okay never to grow up.

He brought a little bit of magic into our lives,
And for that I will be eternally grateful.
He truly was the Magic Man.

Thank You, Dad.
For Everything

Our Final Daddy-Daughter Ski Day.  

Comments

  1. Thank you. It was so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry for your loss. Thinking of you...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely perfect words Sis

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will be thinking of your dad when I am in the woods at K this winter. Our generation stands on the shoulders and giants like your dad, so sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment