One Track Mind

Don't you care about anything else besides skiing?.






Fairly recently I have been accused of having a one track mind. No matter the season, my thoughts tend to wander toward the crisp air and nipping winds of a winter wonderland. While laying in the warm summer sun on the beach, I am reading something about snow (or european dictators, but that's a different story) and getting wierd looks from strangers passing me by.

You know what? I don't give a shit.
I love winter. I love snow. I love skiing.

Yeah, I appreicate the other seasons. Spring is a wonderful celebration of the winter just passed. Summer is great for working up a sweat and getting into training mode. Fall is the time for getting psyched up and getting all your gear in order. There are flowers and leaves and grass and all kinds of beautiful things, but they just don't speak to my soul. I'm sorry, but there is just something that happens to me when the air gets colder and lighter...and the hot chocolate comes out...

Yeah, I know it would be better for my body if I spent hours a week at yoga class and on the pilates equipment. My physical shape would be better, I would be stronger, more flexible - most definately healthier - but the outside world is always calling. The beauty, the intricacies of the natural world, there is just something about being connected to the earth rather than staying trapped in a little box focused. I hate boxes! Maybe I am clausterphobic....and THAT's why I have to be outside all the time. I don't know.

Yeah, I should probably pay more attention to my friends and my family and my dog and my boyfriend...but the outside world is out there, just calling, just welcoming us - can't you hear it? Maybe I am like a nun - instead of a religious calling I have a winter calling :)

Humans aren't supposed to be inside. We are animals, just like all the other animals. it's okay to sleep in your cave, in a nice place that's warm and dry. But we are of the Earth. That's where we are supposed to live. That's where we are supposed to be. There is even a diagnosed "disease" for people who suffer from outside defficiencies.

I hate being inside. I spent the entire first half of my life inside and learned - nothing. Just stuff from books and dusty stacks of books and teachers.The trees and plants and SNOW are my teachers now. What can you learn inside that you can't learn outside?

Wanna hang out with me?
Get your ass outside and I'll meet you there :)



May You Find the Spirit of the Mountains Within You,
FemaleSkiBum :)

Comments

  1. Once again, I find myself motivated to get my ass on the hill. Really looking forward to winter.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment