Tropical Storm Irene: Monday Journal Entry

We are now on an island. All the roads out of Killington have been destroyed. We have no power in town - all the transformers blew at 11:30 last night. The tourists have freaked out, buying up all milk, bread and eggs from the Market, emptying the shelves. There were long lines for gas and fist fights for the last loaf of bread...


So this is what it is like to be stranded on an island. Roaring Brook divides our town, so many people had to drive up through Highridge in order to cross over to the Access Road. And driving they are. Everywhere. Like Busy Backsons, driving here and there, so anxious they can't sit still. But they are just wasting their gas - who knows how long this will last? They are like the ADHD mouse in the cage, like chickens with their heads cut off. And still they drive around.

I am having a bowl of melted homemade sorbet from our porless freezer with some granola. Sorbet Soup. Not too bad, but if I have to eat all this sorbet today I will get more nauseous than I already am.

Part of me wishes my mom and dad had evacuated their summer house and come up here. or Aaron's mom or dad, or just some family. We only have each other - and Vespi, of course - but it's just the two of us - and all our friends, of course. Maybe someone will have power soon and I can skype my mom and dad...not counting on it though...not counting on anything. How long does it take to rebuild an entire state of roads?

It's creepy. Highridge has become some kind of magical mini island. There is no damage, in fact, you cannot even tell there was a tropical storm. And then I see facebook photos of friends being rescued, their homes floating away with the roads down stream...and my stomach sinks and tears roll down my face. Outside our compound, the world has been completely destroyed.

What will happen come foliage? What will happen come winter? If the base lodges are condemned, how are the lifts faring? Will I have my dream of a lift-free Killington - but this is not how I wanted things to be. Will people come here this winter? Will we have jobs? Will we be able to buy food and pay our mortgage? There are so many unanswered questions. What will happen to us? Whst will happen to Killington? to Vermont? Our entire infrastructure has been destroyed. I'm not even asking when our power will come back on, when we will get WiFi restored, when the roads will be repaired.

When will all my friends be safe?

my back aches, my shoulder blades are tight. Not just my shoulders, but tingling all the way down to my elbows and wrists. I have been nauseous since the reports of major damage started pouring in. And it's not just a here and there - it is a constant influx of ohotos. Every post. zevery status update. It's too much. One journey down East Mountain Road is too much. Then to come home and find the devestatin repeated over and over again, oftentimes worse.

I have told my family to follow me on twitter, to conserve cell phone battery. It was the easiest way i could think of to spread the word. It's the same conversation multiple times. It's too stressful. I'm fine, but my friends and my town and my state are NOT.

And my mountain, my mountain, what is left of you?

please text FOODNOW to 52000 on your mobile phone to make a $10 donation to the Vermont Foodbank

May You Find the Spirit of the Mountains Within You,
FemaleSkiBum :)

Location:Killington, VT

Comments

Popular Posts