Day 2.5: In the Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki Room

Tonight's full moon has certainly woken up all the fowl a little earlier this morning. It is 4:50 and the birds are singing loud enough to wake the dead - or at least me and Vespi. I really thought that I would have been so exhausted that nothing would keep me from sleep, but this one rediculously loud bird has defeated my dreams. It's the one where the cries get louder throughout the call, the alarm clock bird.

Well, at least I finally figured out how to make a pillow with no clothes. I am in the habit of stuffing all my soft items (down jacket, fleece, ski socks, etc.) into my pack to create a comfy headrest, but hiking in 75 degree weather makes for minimal clothing. Instead, I pulled my sleeping pad up over my pack, creating a craftmatic adjustable bed. So much nicer. And it's keeping the blood from rushing to my head and making this headache worse. I am pretty sure the sugary celebration of M&Ms and shredded coconut last night might have been a little much...

On the other hand, I don't really want to sleep because it's just so beautiful outside. The full moon had faded and birdsong fills the air. You can hear the breeze moving through the tops of the trees and everything smells so wonderful and fresh - except me, of course, I stink! I left the vestibule flaps up on the fly lat night, creating a southern style breezeway through the tent. It has been glorious! Vespi has her head resting on my left ankle; we are content.


See you on the Mountain,
FemaleSkiBum :)

Location:Churchill Scott Shelter, Appalachian Trail, Killington, VT

Comments

Popular Posts