I don't care what it looks like, just keep moving...

After much enthusiastic reviews from a local snowboarder, I tried P90X this morning via a loaned DVD. It probably took me almost as long to figure out how to set up the DVD player as it did to follow along for the forty-five minutes of punches, kicks & yoga. Overall, the workout was a great combinatn of different activites and I felt good for the rest of the day. Qhat threw me off, however, was one comment made by the host, "I don't care what it looks like, just keep moving!"

I am assuming that this was supposed to be a motivating comment, but it threw me for a complete loop. Every activity In which I participate, I view as art through efficiency of movement, which means thst even my smallest movement in controlled, pondered and - yes - analyzed. From skiing to running and paddling to biking and pilates...each of these activities requires a conscious mind, focused on the effect that even a minor variation can cause. Ony through attention to the movement could sheer beauty and grace be acheived on the snow, in the woods and on the water.





But here, technique was not important? In a way, I found this freeing as a threw my leg over the stool in front of me, and then back again...over and over. Instead of focusing on how I was moving, I let the movement control me - I was out of control of my own body. It didn't last. While I totally welcomed the aggression of pushing myself to jump higher and kick further, I found myself pushing my femur forward, reaching toward the wall in front of me to make a smoother, longer arc. When I just focused on pushing through the exercise, I wasn't thinking about what I was doing - just when it would end.

I feel a lot of people ski this way. Rather than focusing on how they ski, taking lessons or working repeatedly on a specific muscle movement, they merely throw themselves down the mountain as fast and as often as possible. They don't care what they look like or how they are moving, whether or nor do they care if they are threatening self-injury through a lack of awareness. They are simply moving, completely out of control and without any regard for efficiency, grace or physical health. "Yo, bro - check me out, I'm doing it!"

Movement for movements sake....Probably not the safest mindset while you're dodging trees on a powder day. I study Pilates and Yoga so that I am aware of every idiosyncracy in my movements as I'm skiing. Every new realization expands my ski mind and brings me to a completely new level on the hill...it's amazing how a minute difference can have such a significant influence on your skiing. I've been working on my femur awareness - this coming ski season is going to be wonderous!!

See you on the Mountain,
FemaleSkiBum :)





Location:Killington, VT

Comments

Popular Posts